The Church of St Mary the Virgin is the ancient parish church of Swanage. Built of Purbeck stone for which the town and district are famous, it has seen Swanage grow from a small fishing hamlet to a large town. Originally a chapel of ease of the neighbouring parish of Worth Matravers, Swanage became a parish with its own rector in 1487.
The church has been rebuilt on at least four occasions and the oldest remaining part is the tower. More information on the history of the church can be gleaned from the booklet A Historical Guide to the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Swanage which is available from the church or parish office, price £1.50.
To find out more about St Mary's Church click the links on the left.